(As before, anybody reading this via Facebook will have to click through to the blog, or straight to Youtube, to watch the video.)
Some may find this post, coming so quickly on the heels of the news of my night out whilst cross-dressing, to be nothing more than a blatant attempt to re-establish my manly man credentials. I assure you that this is not the case. Well, not consciously, anyway.
(Hey, while I'm completely comfortable with my heterosexuality, I can't completely discount the fact that being hit on my gay men more than once in my life might have led my subconscious to wonder whether I'm giving out some kid of 'vibe'.)
Yesterday, I jumped off a cable-suspended pod, one-hundred-and-thirty-three metres into the Nevis Gorge, with nothing but a glorified elastic band preventing me from ending up as a smear on river-bed below. The Nevis is the highest commercial bungy in New Zealand.
Satisfied that I'm Strapped in Properly.
Skydiving from twelve thousand feet did not faze me. Jumping into that gorge fazed me. People who say that bungy jumping is far scarier than skydiving aren't kidding. I can confirm that without a doubt. Screaming while skydiving was a result of excitement. Screaming while bungying was a result of terror. Funnily enough, that promise of fear was exactly what drew me to try a bungy. And while it's scary, bungying comes with a pretty incredible rush. So much so that I have no problems doing this again.
The highest commercial bungy is now located at the Macau Sky Tower -- a whopping two-hundred-and-thirty-three metres. And now that I've done one AJ Hackett jump, I get a twenty percent discount at all other jump sides.
Guess what I'm going to be doing when I'm in the Pearl River delta in a month or so.
Related Entries:
1. An Explanation Might Be in Order
2. New Year's Eve 2009


4 comments:
I watched this on mute @ work, so I don't know if I missed this or not, but how did they get so many camera angles? Was it a helicopter for the jumping footage? And mounted cameras in the take-off hut? Or someone was hand-holding it?
There were cameras placed all over the place, including on the sides of the gorge, all controlled by remote. Too bad there wasn't one on the canyon floor. The look of terror on my face as I was falling would probably have been worth a laugh or two.
i was really hoping for "the amazing race" type camera footage. you know...you wearing a camera mounted helmet and mic...so we can see your expression and hear your screaming all the way down. :o)
Yeah, I'm a little disappointed there wasn't more footage of my face as I jumped. You can hear the scream as soon as I jumped -- which is a little weird because I didn't think I started until a second or two into my jump. BTW, this was the second NZ TAR challenge I've completed. Also did the sledging (white-water rafting without the raft) in the North Island. :)
Post a Comment