![]() |
| Ferg Loves |
"You have to eat at Fergburger."
"You have to eat at Fergburger."
"You have to eat at Fergburger."
This was a common refrain whenever someone found out I was planning to visit Queenstown, New Zealand during my travels.
"You have to eat at Fergburger."
"You have to eat at Fergburger."
"You have to eat at Fergburger."
While I consider myself a foodie, and love a well-crafted meat-patty as much as the next red-blooded carnivore, I will admit that it started to get a little tiresome. Especially since the advice started over four months before I set ever set foot on the South Island. It was more remarkable since my initial research had me drawn to Queenstown for more ostentatious reasons. Skydiving. Bungy. Jetboats. Ridiculous Kiwi adventure sports.
I heard my first mention of Fergburger from fellow travellers in Brasil. As the months passed, it started sounding robotic. It was freaky. It was not just a little cultish. I developed this picture in my mind that I'd rock up to the storefront on Shotover Street and see throngs of the newly-converted, robed in bright white, emerging onto the pavement, all ruthlessly wolfing down hamburgers.
Now that I've actually visited Queenstown, I'm fully prepared to give you my own take on what you should do while you're there:
You have to eat at Fergburger.
![]() |
| The Big Al |
Our group pushed our way into the packed store around the dinner hour, and it took about five minutes before I got to the counter to place my order. I figured if I was going to get a burger, I might as well get the mother of all Fergburgers. The big mama-jama. A half-pound of beef with a few rashers of bacon, a crapload of cheese, two fried eggs, slices of beetroot, lettuce, tomato, relish and a large smear of aoili. The Big Al. It was only fair that I gave Fergburger the best chance to make an impression. Things went surprisingly quickly given the number of people milling around waiting for food. Another ten minutes passed and I received a heavy bag and a glass full of draft beer.
With our bounties in our hands, we sat down at one of the outside tables just next to the Shotover Street sidewalk. I unwrapped the bag I'd been given and took the time to survey my impending feed. I conceded that this was no ordinary hamburger. The thing was half the size of my head.
I took my first bite. (Not the easiest of tasks when the thing you're trying to eat is half the size of your head.)
And then my brain exploded.
OhmyGodHolycrapThisisthebestthingIhaveeverputinmymouthorattheveryleastthebestburgerIhaveevereatenJesusit'ssogoodHowamIgoingtofinishthisit'shalfthesizeofmyheadButIhavetokeepeatingbecauseifthisismylastmealonearthIwilldiehappyThisiswhatburgersmusttastelikeinHeavenHowmanymoredaysamIinQueenstownbecauseIneedmoremoremoremoremore...rargahhhaksdjwiuelasbcjakhsdsdkjabnzjquiqnmxsiuswkzkziaklalzooakgfkjabmnxbmbmnbsmjashkdywoiowhqohdiwhdoqiwhdkjsbknjbxcmznxbvcjsgdkajsdgkagsdawvcmzvcjhsagdkjagsguwvcmnzxbm
[cue whatever onomatopoeia might exist that conveys the emotion of raw carnal gluttony]
![]() |
| Worshiping at the Altar of the Sweet Bambi |
![]() |
| A Bombay Chicken With a Side Order of Crappy Pulp Fiction |
![]() |
| The Bun Laden - Terrorism Puns Never Tasted So Delicious |
![]() |
| The Codfather Was a Burger I Couldn't Refuse |
|
| The Dawn Horn - Or How to Cure a Hangover on the Early Morning Bus to Christchurch |
In fact, the third happiest feeling I experienced in Queenstown (after the Big Al and the Thank everything Holy I'm still alive!) was finding out that Fergburger was open a half-hour early on the morning I left for Christchurch. This allowed me to sneak in an order for a breakfast-burger five minutes before the bus departed. If you'd seen me riding out that day, you wouldn't have seen me smiling. But only because the smile was obscured because I was so joyously stuffing my face.
Related Entries:
1. Unique New Zealander Cuisine
2. Taking the Plunge







0 comments
Post a Comment