A Penguin on the Horizon
Before I went to Argentina, I knew I'd like it. I just didn't know I'd like it this much.
In a knuckle-bearing, drag-it-out, twelve-round, ruling-by-the-judges decision, Argentina narrowly won my award for Favourite Country in South America. (In fairness, I have not yet visited Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Suriname, Venezuela or either of the Guyanas; but I'm not feeling that any of those could top Brazil or Argentina.)
While Brazil won points for its fantastic beaches, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador de Bahia, gorgeous people, mesmerising jungle sunsets, and ubiquitous caprihainas, Argentina topped it with the best beef I've ever eaten, unsurprisingly tasty Malbecs, surprisingly complex Pinot Noirs, Buenos Aires, penguins and Los Glaciers National Park. I guess when it comes down to it, I prefer mountains to beaches, beef to rice and beans, and penguins to iguanas. Travelling in Argentina was a lot less expensive than Brazil, too. I'm also quite cheap.
A Glass of Malbec @ Tempus Alba
I spent a total of thirty-six days in Argentina -- a full five weeks. I loved the country so much I went back there three times I after I'd left. There are four sets of Argentine entry and exit stamps in my passport. (Okay, that ridiculous number of border crossings was possibly due more to my chosen route through South America rather than any impulsive inability to stay away from Argentina for too long.)
Just like in Brazil, my time felt far too rushed. I cut a large swath through the country, but I still missed out on cities like Cordoba, and Rosario. I didn't visit the Lake District or San Carlos de Bariloche. I didn't get to travel up Ruta 40; the winding, four-day journey up the Andean side of Argentine Patagonia. I wasn't able to travel north to Salta, or the wastelands and salt flats near the border to Bolivia. That just adds to the list of excuses to come back one day soon.
Not that I really need more excuses.
Heading to El Chaltén
Things I Miss the Most:
1. Asados, Parillas, and Argentine Beef
2. Incredible and Cheap Argentine Wine
3. Travelling Argentina by Bus
Things I Don't Miss at All:
1. Argentinas Aerolineas (surely the crappiest airline in the developed world)
2. Incredible Red Wine Hangovers From the Aforementioned Cheap Argentine Wine
3. The Crazy, Screaming-in-His-Sleep Man I Had to Share a Dorm With in Buenos Aires
Related Entries:
1. Really... Any Post with 'Argentina' As a Tag




0 comments
Post a Comment